By Hussaina Yakubu
Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State, on Sunday, said that the state had recorded three deaths from the COVID-19 pandemic.
The governor, in a tweet from his verified official twitter handle, said that the two latest fatalities were a senior citizen from Makarfi and a lady from Zaria.
He also revealed that two more persons had tested positive, bringing the active COVID-19 cases in the state to 87.
In the tweet, released at 11.04 pm. on Saturday, the governor said that the two new cases were a male from Igabi and a female from Chikun Local Government areas of the state.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the state recorded its first fatality on May 2, when the victim, a retired civil servant, who was said to have concealed his travel history to Kano, died before the result of his test was out.
NAN also reports that government had, last week, raised the alarm that majority of COVID-19 cases in the state had travel history and that such illegal inter-state travel was widening the spread of the virus in the state.
A statement issued by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Communication, Mr Muyiwa Adekeye, said that illegal travels had increased the danger of community transmission.
He said that infections by the virus had now been recorded in some rural local governments, particularly those sharing boundaries with other states.
Adekeye quoted the state’s Standing Committee on COVID-19 as appealing for vigilance and active involvement of all citizens in the efforts to avert the further spread of the virus.
According to him, positive COVID-19 test results have been recorded from seven local government areas in the state.
He gave the affected local governments as Giwa, Igabi, Kaduna North, Kaduna South, Makarfi, Soba and Zaria. (NAN)