Insecurity: Karshi communities seek FG’s urgent intervention

Insecurity: Karshi communities seek FG’s urgent intervention

By Blessing Ibegbu

Some residents of Karshi in the FCT and Nasarawa State have called on the Federal Government and relevant authorities to tackle the security challenges confronting Karshi and surrounding areas.

The residents, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Abuja, said the security situation had become worrisome as a result of constant attacks, abductions and, in some cases, killings.

According to them, the situation is alarming and requires urgent, decisive and sustained intervention by the relevant security agencies and the Federal Capital Territory Administration.

Mrs Agnes Ochie, a businesswoman, said the incidents that occurred at Serenity Estate, a border community between the FCT and Nasarawa State, had left everyone dumbfounded and worried.

Ochie, a resident of New Karshi, added that the incidents occurred within short intervals, creating a serious security and humanitarian crisis.

She said the incidents had left residents living in constant fear for their lives and the safety of their families.

According to her, an armed group suspected to be kidnappers carried out a raid within the vicinity of Serenity Estate in Karshi.

“I wouldn’t know whether it was because Serenity Estate was close to the hill that made the assailants gain access to the estate.

“I don’t know if anybody was abducted, but I am aware that a security personnel attached to the affected residence was reported injured,” she said.

Mr Musa Ibrahim, a bike rider, who spoke in the Hausa language, said there had been some criminal activities in the area recently, with reports that some persons were invaded and abducted.

Ibrahim added that residents had raised serious concerns about the possibility of a more organised and heavily armed criminal network operating within the Karshi axis and neighbouring communities.

“These suspicions require proper investigation and confirmation by the appropriate authorities, especially at Karshi By-pass, because there is no smoke without fire,” he said.

Another resident, Mr Tony Kelechi, said the incidents occurring within a relatively short period demonstrated a disturbing pattern of criminal attacks targeting ordinary residents in their homes and communities.

Kelechi noted that armed criminals entering residential communities to commit havoc had created fear among people residing in the community.

“The relevant security and intelligence agencies should determine whether the incidents are linked to a wider criminal network operating across the FCT–Nasarawa border area and surrounding communities,” he said.

Meanwhile, Mr Ahmed Doka, the District Head of Old Karshi, stated that insecurity around the Karshi axis was on the rise and appealed for security checkpoints in the area.

According to him, even though the community has its own organised local security guards (vigilantes), the Federal and state governments should deploy personnel to the communities, especially at the border.

He said “we have our local community security that patrols the community, but it is not enough.

”We still need military and police personnel in order to combat criminals and curb their activities,” he said.

Doka advised residents to be security conscious, adding that everybody needed to be his or her own security in this critical period. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

Edited by Dorcas Jonah/

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *