Court to hear ex-minister Olu Agunloye’s N1bn suit against EFCC May 9
Court to hear ex-minister Olu Agunloye’s N1bn suit against EFCC May 9Continue Reading
's Mediiye agbaje
By Taiye Agbaje
A Federal High Court, Abuja, on Thursday, fixed May 9 for hearing in a N1 billion suit filed by Dr Olu Agunloye, former Minister of Power and Steel under ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo, against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Justice Emeka Nwite fixed the date after EFCC’s lawyer, Abba Mohammed, sought an adjournment to enable him regularise his processes before the court.
When the matter was called for report of service, the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), who is the 2nd defendant in the suit, was not represented in court.
Justice Nwite then asked Agunloye’s counsel, Adeola Adedipe, SAN, if the AGF had been served and he responded in affirmative.
The senior lawyer told the court that though the EFCC filed a motion to regularise their processes, he was not opposing the application.
Mohammed, however, applied that the court file be given to him to verify if their processes were in the court record but Adedipe objected to the request.
“I object to that my lord. I have never seen such practice before where a court file is shown to a party,” he said.
Adedipe further argued that since the matter was ripe for hearing, he sought the leave of court to proceed on the matter if the anti-graft agency’s lawyer had no defence.
But Mohammed prayed the court for an adjournment to enable him put their house in order, even as the AGF was not represented in court.
The judge, who adjourned the matter until May 9 for hearing, directed that the hearing notice be served on the 2nd defendant.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) had, on March 1, reported that the ex-minister had filed the suit against EFCC over allegations that the commission published his name on its website’s wanted list.
Agunloye, in the suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/167/2024 and filed by his team of lawyers led by Adedipe, also joined the AGF as 2nd defendant.
In the originating summons, dated and filed Feb. 8, the ex-minister sought six reliefs, including a declaration that the EFCC cannot lawfully exercise its discretion, powers and or functions under Sections 1(2\(c\, 6, 7, 13 of the EFCC Act, 2004, ditto Section 4 of the Police Act 2020, by declaring him wanted on its official website or any other related platform.
Agunloye said this was without recourse to any safeguard in Sections 34({1)(a), 35, 37, 39, 41 and 42 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), including a judicial intervention, order or leave of court pursuant to Sections 1(1), 8(1) & 42(2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015.
He, therefore, sought an order for the EFCC, its agents, privies, representatives and other related affiliates to forthwith remove his picture, name, references, details and or particulars from the wanted list published on its official website or any other related platform.
He also sought a perpetual injunction restraining the EFCC and the AGF, “both jointly or severally, whether by themselves or their staff, from further declaring the plaintiff wanted.
“General damages of one billion baira (N1, 000, 000, 000 00) against the defendants, especially the 1st defendant
“Cost of this action.”(NAN)(www.nannews.ng)
TOA/SH
=======
edited by Sadiya Hamza
Court to hear ex-minister Olu Agunloye’s N1bn suit against EFCC May 9Continue Reading
By Taiye Agbaje A Federal High Court, Abuja has adjourned a N1 billion suit filed by Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), against the Federal Government and Department of State Services (DSS) until April 23 for adoption of processes. Justice James Omotosho adjourned the matterContinue Reading
By Muhyideen Jimoh The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Ali Pate, on Thursday in Abuja, inaugurated a 13-member committee to organise the maiden international charity football against cancer as part of advocacy against cancer prevention. The minister, who was represented by Prof. Usman Aliyu, the Director-General, National InstituteContinue Reading
By Martha Agas A mining engineer, Josiah Stephen, has appealed to the Federal Government to invest in training young professionals in the geosciences sector to become major players in Deep Sea Mining (DSM). This is to enable them to become major players and contributors to the emerging industry of deepContinue Reading
By Perpetua Onuegbu Sen. George Akume, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), said on Thursday that the present administration placed a high premium on accountability and transparency issues. Akume represented by Wase Francis, Director, ICT, Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF), said thisContinue Reading
By Emmanuella Anokam The Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Christopher Musa, says plans are underway for a security summit aimed at tackling challenges associated with securing oil and gas installations in the country especially pipelines. Musa, who disclosed this on Thursday in Abuja when he visited Sen. Heineken Lokpobiri, MinisterContinue Reading
The Commander, Army Headquarters Garrison, Maj.-Gen. Koko Isoni, has challenged troops to remain professional and always deploy their skills in combating the security challenges bedeviling the country.Continue Reading
By Muhyideen Jimoh 350.org, an international environmental organisation, has urged the World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) to urgently initiate reforms to address world’s financial systems responsible for the worsening climate crisis. Pascale Hunt, Senior global Communications Specialist, 350. org, made this advocacy in a statement made available toContinue Reading
Kalthum Foundation for Peace (KFP) has commended the troops of North East Joint Task Force ,Operation Hadin Kai, for their sacrifices, resilience, and dedication in combating Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists in the North East.Continue Reading
By Emmanuel Afonne Mr Oladipo Ajayi, the Registrar, National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN), said on Thursday that the institution would host the second University Registrars Workshop to share ideas on evolving university administrative management and practices. Ajayi who said this in Abuja, noted that the event being organised inContinue Reading
Copyright © 2026 News Agency of Nigeria.
Welcome to NAN. My name is Bala, let me know what I can find for you.