News Agency of Nigeria
Adamawa flood victims applaud Fintiri’s quick response

Adamawa flood victims applaud Fintiri’s quick response

332 total views today

By Talatu Maiwada

Victims of the recent flood disaster in Yola have commended Gov. Ahmadu Fintiri for his swift response and effective distribution of relief materials to affected communities.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the flood, which struck Yola South on July 27, affected more than 4,000 households.

It claimed 29 lives and destroyed property, including livestock and farmlands.

A cross-section of victims, who spoke with NAN on Thursday, expressed gratitude to the state government and its partners for their intervention.

They dismissed social media claims that the food items distributed were expired and unsafe.

Hajiya Hasfat Umar, a widow with four children, said the prompt arrival of relief materials eased her family’s hardship.

“The government’s quick action shows they care about our situation. We didn’t have to wait for weeks before getting help. We are grateful to our governor,” she said.

Another victim, Malam Audu Bako, said the assistance was a huge relief, saying it restored his family’s hope after losing most of their belongings to the flood.

Reacting to the allegations, Dr Celine La’ori, Executive Secretary of the Adamawa State Emergency Management Agency (ADSEMA), dismissed the claims of expired food as ‘political mischief aimed at undermining the government’s efforts’.

She said the state government had done everything possible to cushion the effects of the disaster and deserved commendation for its response.

Also, the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr James Iliya, reaffirmed the government’s commitment to prioritising the safety and well-being of its people.

“The Adamawa Government will not abandon its responsibility to protect and serve the people.

“We will not rest until every citizen has access to the necessary support and services to thrive,” he said.

Iliya noted that the flood was one of those unfortunate events requiring collective effort, not blame games.

He said the government had earlier sensitised residents of flood-prone areas on risks and precautionary measures, reflecting its commitment to public safety.

According to him, relief support came from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the North East Development Commission (NEDC), the Wife of the President, Sen. Oluremi Tinubu, the Bayelsa Government and BUA Group, among others.

“Their contributions have helped cushion the effects of the flooding, alleviate the suffering of victims, and facilitate response efforts,” he said.

The commissioner added that the flood occurred at night, forcing many residents to flee their homes.

He said Deputy Governor Prof. Kaletapwa Farauta was the first government official to reach the affected communities, mobilise rescue teams, and set up a temporary camp at a secondary school.

He said victims were immediately profiled and relief materials distributed to ensure genuine cases received assistance.

Quoting Fintiri, he added: “Our hearts go out to the victims and their families. We acknowledge the plight of those who have lost loved ones, homes, and livelihoods”.

The governor pledged continued collaboration with stakeholders to aid recovery and rebuilding efforts.

(NAN)

Edited by Tosin Kolade

UNICEF hands over 4,290 cartons of nutrition supplements to Adamawa

UNICEF hands over 4,290 cartons of nutrition supplements to Adamawa

491 total views today

By Talatu Maiwada

The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has supplied over 4,290 cartons of Small Quantity Lipid-Based Nutrient Supplements (SQLNS) to the Adamawa Government to combat malnutrition and related diseases.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the supplements were funded by donors, including the UK Government, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Through UNICEF’s Children Nutrition Fund, a 1:1 match-funding modelenables governments to double their investment in nutrition, improving malnutrition prevention, detection, and treatment.

Dr Nuzhat Rafique, Chief of Field Office, UNICEF Bauchi, presented the supplements at a handover ceremony on Thursday in Yola.

Rafique stated that the 4,290 cartons of SQLNS contained approximately 2.57 million doses, expected to benefit at least 85,000 children in the state.

NAN reports that SQLNS is a specially formulated food supplementdesigned to prevent undernutrition and support child survival, growth, and development.

It helps address stunting, wasting, and anaemia by providing essential proteins, energy, and 23 vital vitamins and minerals.

Commending the Adamawa Government for its commitment to the Child Nutrition Fund (CNF) mechanism, Rafique acknowledged the support of various donors and UNICEF’s role in managing the fund.

“You are among the first states to take advantage of this matching grant opportunity to support mothers, children, and vulnerable groups.

“Malnutrition remains a major challenge in Adamawa, and these supplements will play a crucial role in ensuring that children are not malnourished,” she said.

Rafique expressed gratitude to the state government and donors, acknowledging their contributions in reaching the most vulnerable children in Adamawa and across Nigeria.

Mr Felix Tangwami, Adamawa Commissioner for Health and Human Resources, praised UNICEF and donor partners for their commitment to tackling malnutrition.

He attributed the rise in malnutrition to insurgency and insecurity, which have greatly disrupted farming activities and reduced access to nutritious food in the state.

“Our farmers no longer have the same level of access to farmlands, which has led to a decline in the availability of quality nutritional foods.

“Despite limited resources and competing demands, the governor continues to prioritise the health sector, because a healthy society is key to a healthy future,” Tangwami said.

He assured that the supplements would be properly distributed and utilisedto reach the intended beneficiaries.

Dr Bashir Sulaiman, Executive Chairman, Adamawa Primary Healthcare Development Agency, commended the state government’s commitment and swift action in securing funding.

He revealed that the governor released ₦100 million for the matching grant for SQLNS procurement and further committed ₦300 million for the current year to sustain the fight against malnutrition.

Sulaiman called for continued collaboration with UNICEF to improve nutrition and overall health outcomes for women and children in the state. (NAN) www.nannews.ng

Edited by Benson Ezugwu/Christiana Fadare

X
Welcome to NAN
Need help? Choose an option below and let me be your assistant.
Email SubscriptionSite SearchSend Us Email