NEWS AGENCY OF NIGERIA

Okpebholo pledges compensation for Uromi 16 victims

119 total views today

Compensation

By Aminu Garko

Gov. Monday Okpebholo of Edo has pledged to compensate the families of the 16 slain hunters allegedly murdered by a vigilante group at Uromi, Edo while on their way to Kano.

He made the pledge when, in the company of his Kano State counterpart, Abba Yusuf, paid a condolence visit to the families of the late hunters at Torankawa in Kano State.

”We are making arrangements to provide compensation to all the victims affected by this incident”, he said.

Okpebholo commended the people of Kano State for remaining calm in spite of the situation.

”I also commend the good people of Kano State and the entire north for not taking the law into their own hands  and carrying out reprisal attacks,” he said.

He prayed  for the repose of the souls  of the late hunters.

” We are here to commiserate with the  families of the dead.

“We assure you that the perpetrators  will be brought to justice.

” May Almighty God forgive the souls of the victims and reward them with paradise,” he said

The Edo governor said that already arrests had been made.

“About 14 suspects have been arrested already; we will pursue the case until its logical conclusion.

“We are making arrangements to provide compensation to all the families affected by this incident”, he said.

Earlier, Yusuf, while praying for the souls of the victims, said that all hands were on the deck to ensure that justice prevailed.

” We are working closely with  my counterpart, Gov. Okpebholo to ensure that all those arrested are prosecuted.

” We will also ensure full compensation for all the affected victims”, he said.

” I  pledged cash and food items to the families of victims,” he said .

He  also promised that compensation would be paid to the victims’ families, adding that the government would not relent in pursuing justice for the victims. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

Edited by Bukola  Adetoye/Uche Anunne

ECOWAS Court orders Nigeria to pay N52m to eviction victims

322 total views today

By Mark Longyen

The ECOWAS Court has ordered Nigeria to pay two million naira compensation each to 26 people who were forcibly evicted from various communities in Lagos and Rivers between 2004 and 2013.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the applicants, Mr Edwin Lenyie and 25 others had filed the suit No: ECW/CCJ/APP/34/17), seeking the enforcement of their fundamental human rights.

They also prayed the court to compel the Nigerian government to pay them compensation for forcefully evicting them from their communities without prior notice, compensation, or alternative shelter, rendering them homeless.

Delivering judgment on Thursday, the court held that the Nigerian government failed in its responsibility to ensure access to legal remedies for the victims.

According to the community court, the action of the Nigerian government was in violation of Article 7 of the African Charter Charter on Human and People’s Rights.

It held that the Applicants’ rights under Article 7 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), which guarantees the right to a fair trial and access to justice, were violated.

The court said that the hearings on the matter, which were held by the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) “were never concluded, and no alternative means of redress were provided for them”.

“Inspite of initial hearings by the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) in 2014, the proceedings were suspended indefinitely, leaving the Applicants without legal recourse,” the court said.

The court further dismissed Nigeria’s objections that the Applicants should have pursued their claims in Nigerian courts and on jurisdiction, saying it had the locus standi to entertain the case.

It further struck out the NHRC as a respondent in the case, and ordered that the Federal Government must bear full responsibility for the actions of its agencies.

The three-member panel of the court which has Justices Ricardo Gonçalves (presiding); Sengu Koroma (judge rapporteur); and Gberi-Bè Ouattara (member) held that the compensation/reparation would ensure that justice is served to the victims.(NAN)(www.nannews.ng)

Edited by Sadiya Hamza

NCAA lists compensations for flight delay, cancellation, others

704 total views today

By Gabriel Agbeja

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has affirmed that passengers are entitled to compensation for flight delay, cancellation, luggage delay, missing or loss by airlines.

Mr Michael Achimugu, the NCAA Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection stated this at a news conference on Thursday in Abuja.

According to him, passengers are entitled for first needs payment of N10,000 on domestic flights when passenger’s luggage is missing and 170 US Dollar on international flights while the luggage is being searched for.

“For domestic flights, the airline has one day to seven days to search for the missing luggage while on international flights, the airline has one day to 21 days to search for the luggage.

“A luggage is said to be lost if not found after seven days search on domestic flights and 21 days search international flights.

The process for compensation for missing g luggage commences after the said luggage is declared missing. Any fees paid for that luggage must also be refunded,” he said.

The director said the refunds for tickets on cancelled or delayed flights should be paid  immediately, if payment was made in cash or within 14 days if it was by bank transfer or any means other than transfer.

According to him, refunds via means other than cash must be made within 14 days. However, some delay might be experienced from submission of required documents for the passenger

Contributing, the NCAA Director of Special Duties, Mr Horatius Egua, urged passengers to know their rights regarding the aviation sector.

He stated that challenges the authority encountered included, lack of awareness among passengers, limited enforcement of consumer rights, inadequate infrastructure and corruption.

“NCAA has emphasised increased passenger education and awareness, strengthening of regulatory agencies, improved airline customer service and enhanced infrastructure development

“By knowing your rights as a consumer, you can advocate for better treatment and services in Nigeria’s aviation sector,” he said.

On her part, Mrs Ifueko Abdulmalik, the Senior Special Adviser to the NCAA Acting Director General, Capt. Chris Najomo, said the airline ought to provide clear terms and conditions and also ensure timely departure and arrival.

According to her, Airline obligations are to provide adequate baggage handling, offer compensation for delays, cancellations, or overbooking and maintain safe and secure aircraft.

“Passengers have rights to know flight schedule, fare, and baggage allowance; right to compensation for flight delays; right to refund for unused tickets (within 7 days) and right to baggage protection.

“Common Issues from the passengers include, flight delays and cancellations, baggage loss, damage, or delay, overbooking and denied boarding, refund and compensation disputes, “ she said. (NAN)

Edited by AbdulFatai Beki/ Rotimi Ijikanmi

X
Welcome to NAN
Need help? Choose an option below and let me be your assistant.
Email SubscriptionSite SearchSend Us Email