NEWS AGENCY OF NIGERIA

FCTA begins post-development audit of  buildings in FCT

822 total views today

By Philip Yatai/Angela Atabo

The Federal Capital Territory Administration has begun a post-development audit of buildings in the FCT.

Chief Felix Obuah, Coordinator of the Abuja Metropolitan Management Council (AMMC), made this known while inaugurating a Ministerial Committee on Post-Development Audit of Buildings in the FCT.

Obuah explained while inaugurating the committee in Abuja on Thursday that the Abuja Master Plan, developed in 1979 provides the roadmap for the orderly development of the nation’s capital city, Abuja.

According to him, the overarching goal is to build one of the most prestigious and modernist cities in the world.

He pointed out that over the years, the FCTA has been able to develop many phases of the city, districts and neighbourhoods.

“We have equally been able to develop critical infrastructures that provide circulatory road systems, metro lines and stations, sewer lines and drainages, among others.

“Today the city can boast of many iconic landmark developments such as the National Mosque, the National Christian Center, the National Assembly Complex, and the Supreme Court Complex.

“Others are the World Trade Centre, Abuja – the tallest building in the city with 22 floors, the CBN Complex, and many other iconic buildings of international repute and reference points for tourists.

“All these attests to the fact that our city has come to stay; our city has developed substantially from Phase 1 through Phase 3 while the other phases are equally being developed.

“Nonetheless, it becomes imperative too, that at this juncture of the city’s development, we take a cursory look at our journey in terms of what we have so far developed, the trend and chart a more robust course for the city’s development,” he said.

He said that it was on these grounds that the FCT Minister Nyesom Wike approved the constitution of the committee to audit the post- development of the city’s buildings.

He said that the committee, which would be chaired by Mr Mukhtar Galadima, Director, Department of Development Control, would be expected to provide accurate records of all development permits issued.

This, he said, would reduce the cases of unapproved development, illegal conversion of land use, and land grabbing.

He added that the committee would also provide data on the consumption of the city’s utilities and services such as water, electricity and connectivity to sewer lines.

This, according to him, will expose illegal connections to the facilities which is denying the government its due revenues.

“The committee will also provide data for accurate taxation and enhanced revenue generation by bringing all buildings and properties to the FCT Internal Revenue Tax Net.

“This will generate billions of Naira for the FCT Administration.

“Another task for the committee is the provision of data on research on city planning, development and management.

“Some of the buildings will be subjected to integrity tests to reduce cases of building collapse and hazards,” he said.

The coordinator said that members of the committee were drawn from all the departments in the FCTA and expected to conclude the tasks in six months.

He assured the committee members of the FCT Minister’s commitment to providing the necessary logistics to ensure the success of the exercise.

Speaking on behalf of the committee members, Galadima noted the need for the FCTA to document all activities, in terms of structures, services, and facilities.

He said that the committee would deliver on its mandate as expected. (NAN)

Edited by Sadiya Hamza

Wike, 27 Rivers lawmakers not APC members – APC Chairman 

1,533 total views today

By Angela Atabo

Dr Tony Okocha, Chairman of the All Progressive Congress(APC), in Rivers,  has said that FCT minister Nyesom Wike is not a member of the APC.

He told newsmen on Thursday in Abuja that the 27 Rivers lawmakers currently in a bitter political struggle with Gov. Siminalayi Fubara were also not members of the APC.

“People say Wike has decamped to the APC. They also say that the 27 lawmakers currently fighting with Fubara have defected to the APC.

“I need to make this clear to everyone. Much as I wish to have them in my fold, none of them has agreed to join us.

“I am the one that should  know if they did. But, clearly, they have not.

“What the lawmakers did was a political gimmick.

“I tried to woo them, but they kept vacillating and did not.

“To defect, they must go to their wards, register and get their membership cards. None  of them has done that,” he said.

Okocha was particularly categorical in declaring that Wike would not leave the PDP.

“Wike will never leave the  PDP.

“He has always said that PDP made him what he is. He has always said that he would remain there.

“He is an ardent believer in PDP. He is not likely to leave that group,” Okocha said.

He, however, said that Wike is a member of the Renewed Hope Agenda.

“In Rivers, I am 001 in APC, but in the Renewed Hope Agenda, I am 002. Wike is 001,” he explained.

He also spoke on Wike’s influence on Rivers’ politics

“Wike has done so much for Rivers, so he is strong.

“In the next 10 years, Wike will continue to influence the political direction in Rivers.

“It will be difficult to uproot him.

“Aside from his many projects scattered throughout the state, he has touched people’s lives directly. Such people will always be behind him,” he said.

He described Wike as a politician that could identify with every good cause irrespective of political party.

“Once the cause is good and will give him a platform to serve his people, Wike will be part of it,” Okocha said.(NAN)

Edited by Philip Yatai/Ephraims Sheyin

AMMC gives AEPB 48-hour ultimatum to clean up Abuja

1,211 total views today

By Philip Yatai

The Abuja Metropolitan Management Council (AMMC), has given the Abuja Environmental Protection Board (AEPB) 48-hour ultimatum to clean up Abuja.

The Coordinator of the Council, Chief Felix Obuah, gave the ultimatum after an emergency meeting with management of the board and contractors handling refuse evacuation in Abuja on Monday.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the meeting was held after the coordinator inspected the state of refuse evacuation in Asokoro District.

Obuah expressed disappointment with the slow pace of refuse evacuation in the district, noting that the nation’s capital should be a model city for cleanliness across Nigeria.

He, thereafter, directed the Director of AEPB, Mr Osi Braimah to ensure that Asokoro was thoroughly cleaned within 48 hours.

He added that the efforts should be extended to other major districts, including Guzape, Maitama, Central Business District, Wuse, and other areas within the Abuja metropolis.

He also directed the director to immediately recall casual workers to accelerate the evacuation of refuse across the city.

“I am tired of receiving calls from residents complaining of how dirty the city has become.

“Today, I was forced to go round major areas of the city to assess the state of refuse collection and what I saw was an eyesore.

“I realised that the contractors engaged to clean the city are no longer doing their jobs and AEPB must do something about it,” he said.

He advised the companies to also within 48 hours, clean up their act, or face the wrath of FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, whom he said, was already displeased with the situation.

The coordinator pointed out that the beauty of any city largely depended on its cleanliness.

According to him, Abuja should not only be clean but should also set the benchmark for other cities in the country to follow.

Responding, Braimah assured the coordinator that the board would do as directed. (NAN)

Edited by Maureen Atuonwu

Military Games‘ll strengthen cooperation, partnership in Africa – CDS

928 total views today

By Philip Yatai

The Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Christopher Musa said on Thursday that the Africa Military Games would strengthen military cooperation and partnership in the region.

Musa stated this in Abuja at a World Press Conference to announce the forthcoming games, scheduled for Nov. 8 to 30, in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.

He added that the event presents a unique opportunity for Nigeria’s Armed Forces to showcase their skills to the world and foster camaraderie amongst participants.

He also said the sports fiesta was another means of Nigerian military non-kinetic operations.

The CDS said hosting the African Military Games in Abuja was a testament to Nigeria’s commitment to promoting peace and security in the African region.

He added that it is also an opportunity for the nation to demonstrate its capabilities as a host nation.

“The games will provide a platform for our Armed Forces to compete internationally and exchange best practices with their counterparts from other African countries.

“It will also build lasting relationships that will contribute to the overall security and stability of the continent.

“I am confident that our Armed Forces will rise to the occasion and make the nation proud with their performances both on and off the field,” he added.

Musa said that the Nigerian Armed Forces was currently finalising preparations for the games, including ensuring that necessary infrastructure and logistics support was in place to host this prestigious event.

He expressed gratitude to the Minister of FCT, Mr Nyesom Wike, for being a wonderful host, saying that the noble opportunity to host the continent would bring significant benefits to the FCT and the nation in general

He identified economic and sports development, global recognition, and national pride as some of the benefits the country stands to derive by hosting the fiesta.

“Let us therefore come together to ensure a hitch-free event.

“I, therefore, urge all well-meaning Nigerians and corporate organisations to support our armed forces as they prepare to compete in the African Military Games.

“Let us unite as a nation to celebrate the spirit of sportsmanship, camaraderie, and togetherness that this event embodies.

“Let us show them the love and hospitality that Nigerians are known for,” the CDS said.

The Chairman, Local Organising Committee, AVM Abidemi Marquis, said that the theme of the event is “Enhancing Military Cooperation in Africa through Sports”

He said the objective was to foster the already established relationship among the African armed forces and enhance awareness and cooperation away from war.

According to him, 42 African countries have indicated interest in participating in the games and that 27 countries have submitted their final entries, while awaiting others from now to Oct. 15.

“As of today, we have 17,75 officials and athletes from the 27 countries, out of the 3,000 officials and athletes expected to participate in the games from the 42 countries.

“We will be competing in 19 sporting events, including all the ball games, swimming, obstacle crossing, taekwondo, and wrestling, among others,” he said.

Also, the President of Military Sports in Africa, Maj.-Gen. Maikano Abdullahi said the organisation’s design is to take the African armed forces from the battlefield to the sports field.

“The idea is to bring peace, stability, and understanding among members of the armed forces from the 44-member countries in the continent, to understand ourselves,” Abdullahi said.

In his remarks, Wike thanked the CDS for giving Abuja the opportunity to be the chief host of the games.

The minister said the 3,000 expected participants would become ambassadors and tell the world that indeed, “Abuja is one of the best cities in Africa and that Nigeria is moving forward.

“We will do everything to give you the necessary support so you can have a successful hosting of the event so that your colleagues can be proud of you,” he said. (NAN)

Edited by Emmanuel Yashim

X
Welcome to NAN
Need help? Choose an option below and let me be your assistant.
Email SubscriptionSite SearchSend Us Email