News Agency of Nigeria
Tinubu pledges payment of GenCos’ N4trn debt claim after verification

Tinubu pledges payment of GenCos’ N4trn debt claim after verification

By Muhyideen Jimoh

‎President Bola Tinubu has assured power generation companies (GenCos) of the Federal Government’s commitment to settling outstanding debts, pending a thorough audit process.

‎The assurance was given on Friday during a meeting with the Association of Power Generation Companies at the State House, Abuja.



‎The meeting details were disclosed in a statement issued by Presidential Spokesperson, Mr Bayo Onanuga.



‎The delegation was led by retired Col. Sani Bello and included other key industry stakeholders.



‎Tinubu reiterated his commitment to resolving liquidity challenges affecting Nigeria’s electricity sector.



‎“I accept the liabilities of my predecessors, but only on credible and verifiable grounds.



‎“I must confirm the figures are authentic. This inheritance must not be cosmetic, but a tool for industrial and economic advancement,” Tinubu said.



‎He urged power firms and financial institutions to remain patient during the verification process.



‎“We are here now. Please inform your colleagues. Allow us time for proper validation of the numbers,” he added.



‎Tinubu emphasised support for a market-driven electricity sector and acknowledged unresolved legacy issues.



‎“This issue has lingered. We are now addressing it. We’ve saved significantly on fuel subsidies and introduced CNG to ease pressure on citizens,” he said.



‎He appealed to banks for cooperation in resolving financial constraints.



‎“To our banking partners, avoid foreclosures. Be prudent, but flexible. Let us endure this together,” he said.



‎Tinubu stressed that stable electricity is crucial to national growth and citizens’ wellbeing.



‎Special Adviser on Energy, Ms Olu Verheijen, said Tinubu approved a ₦4 trillion bond to ease power sector liquidity issues.



‎She attributed the crisis to years of unpaid tariff shortfalls and wide market gaps.



‎She noted the Federal Government owes a verified ₦4 trillion debt to GENCOs, dating back to 2015.



‎“We’ve met with 27 GENCOs to review their PPAs and gas agreements, validating the legitimacy of claims.



‎“GENCOs are claiming ₦4 trillion for the period 2015 to end of 2023,” she said.



‎She confirmed that NBET has so far validated ₦1.8 trillion of those claims.



‎“Additionally, ₦200 billion in unfunded subsidies has accumulated, increasing the government’s liability.



‎“As of April 2025, verified exposure stands at ₦4 trillion,” she said.



‎She warned that the debt figure might be adjusted following further assessments.



‎“The ₦4 trillion bond has anticipatory approval, subject to negotiation and agreement.



‎“Only verified debts will be included in the DMO’s final issuance,” Verheijen explained.



‎Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, praised Tinubu’s leadership and recent sector reforms.



‎“Your presence today confirms your unwavering commitment to Nigeria’s power development.



‎“Under your leadership, we’ve achieved critical sector milestones in under two years,” he said.



‎He described the Electricity Act 2023 as a breakthrough for decentralising and liberalising the market.



‎The administration also introduced the first Integrated National Electricity Policy in 24 years.



‎Adelabu said over $2 billion in private capital was attracted for grid expansion projects.



‎He reported that revenue rose by 70%, from ₦1 trillion in 2023 to ₦1.7 trillion in 2024.



‎This increase helped cut government subsidies by more than ₦700 billion.



‎Installed generation capacity reached 14,000 MW, with 5,801 MW achieved on March 4.



‎Daily energy delivery hit a record high of 120,370 megawatt-hours.



‎There was no national grid collapse in 2025, due to the Presidential Power Initiative.



‎This initiative added over 700 MW to transmission capacity.



‎He noted 300,000 smart meters were delivered under the ₦700 billion Presidential Metering Initiative and World Bank DISREP.



‎However, Adelabu warned that liquidity issues threaten to undo recent gains.



‎“The debt overhang could lead to a total shutdown of generation assets,” he said.



‎He urged the President to approve phased payments to GENCOs without delay.



‎He called for sustained structural reforms to stabilise the power sector.



‎Business leaders Tony Elumelu and Kola Adesina also urged swift government intervention.



‎“Mr President, the banks are threatening foreclosure. Not because of poor performance, but due to unpaid debts,” Elumelu said.



‎He praised Tinubu for restoring investor confidence and oil production.



‎“Before 2023, we lost 97 per cent of daily oil output. Today, we retain 98 per cent. That’s real progress,” Elumelu said.



‎Adesina also highlighted the urgent need for liquidity and reliable gas supply.



‎“Liquidity is the lifeblood of power generation. Without it, Nigeria’s development will suffer,” Adesina said.



‎He said underperforming plants in Afam lack gas due to unpaid suppliers.



‎“We suggest unlocking 800 million cubic feet of gas via NLNG for plant supply,” he said.



‎The meeting was attended by top government officials, regulators, and power sector stakeholders.



‎Present were the Chief of Staff, Minister of Finance Wale Edun, and Minister of Information Mohammed Idris. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

‎Edited by Kamal Tayo Oropo

X
Welcome to NAN
Need help? Choose an option below and let me be your assistant.
Email SubscriptionSite SearchSend Us Email