NEWS AGENCY OF NIGERIA

Illegal mining: FG arrests 327 suspects, prosecutes 143

192 total views today

By Martha Agas

The Federal Government says it has arrested 327 suspects for illegal mining and prosecuted 143 across the country since the Mining Marshals (MM) began operations in 2024.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dr Dele Alake, made the disclosure at a news conference marking the one-year anniversary of the operations of the marshals.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the MM, a security outfit of the solid minerals sector, was inaugurated on March 21, 2024, to address the surge in illegal mining activities across the country.

The security personnel were drawn from the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and trained in strategic and tactical skills to detect, engage, and combat illegal miners, bandits, and other criminal elements in the sector.

NAN also reports that MM began operations with 2,220 personnel, which has since been increased to 2,670.

Alake stated that a key target for the marshals in 2025 was to secure the conviction of the 327 individuals arraigned in court to enhance deterrence and enforce compliance with the law.

He also acknowledged the contributions of government agencies such as the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the army for their efforts in the drive to sanitise the solid minerals sector.

“This month, the Federal High Court, Ilorin, Kwara State, sentenced two foreigners, Yang Chao and Wu Shan Chuan, to prison for illegal mining of solid minerals following a case prosecuted by EFCC.

“We also commend the EFCC for its diligent prosecution of illegal miners.

“In May last year, the EFCC successfully prosecuted and secured the conviction of two other foreigners, Duan Ya Hong and Xiao Yi, to one year of imprisonment for illegal mining at another Federal High Court, also sitting in Ilorin, Kwara State,” he said.

According to him, the MM have played a crucial role in tackling the severity of illegal mining, which has been exacerbated by companies collaborating with individual miners to carry out the act.

He added that the marshals had reclaimed 98 mining sites since beginning operations by clearing illegal miners who had occupied licensed areas for more than a decade, preventing the rightful owners from operating.

“According to our records, MM recovered over 98 sites last year. This has enabled many licence owners to return to site and resume operations.

“This will, ultimately, improve royalties and raise the contribution of the solid minerals to the country’s revenue.

“So far, the MM has identified 457 suspected illegal mining sites and has improved intelligence gathering on these sites,” he said.

According to the minister, the mining marshals use technology in their operations, including miniature robots and drones for surveillance.

He added that they employed communication tools to deliver early warnings, effectively distinguishing unarmed civilians from armed bandits, who are the main targets of their operations.

He said that the MM, in its second year of operations, would increase their engagements in other parts of the states.

Alake emphasised that MM previously held direct engagements across 10 states: Niger, Kogi, Nasarawa, Akwa Ibom, Ondo, Kaduna, Enugu, Abia, Kwara and the Federal Capital Territory.

The minister said that in addition to the kinetic measures used to combat illegal mining, non-kinetic measures would be intensified to strengthen the relationship between the government and artisanal miners and expand the registration of cooperatives.

He disclosed that the number of personnel would be expanded, and more logistics, including vehicles and other equipment, would be provided to the Mining Marshals to strengthen their operational capacity.

He urged them to prepare for tougher tasks as the government consolidates its operations to remove more illegal miners from sites and ensure their prosecution.

On his part, the Commandant of the Mining Marshals, John Attah, said their operations were guided by the provisions of the law and reaffirmed their commitment to flushing out illegal miners.

Attah thanked the minister for his support and urged the public to view their operations as a national project aimed at the country’s progress. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

Edited by Peter Amine

FG addressing environmental degradation caused by mining – minister

334 total views today

By Martha Agas

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dr Dele Alake, has said that the ministry is addressing the fears of states about environmental degradation by ensuring that mining companies comply with stipulated standards.

Alake stated this at the closing of the ninth Nigeria Mining Week on Wednesday in Abuja.

The minister stated that there were departments responsible for overseeing the operations of the operators.

He said that the departments have the veto to make sure that the operators comply with environmental standards and regulations.

Alake added that the move was aimed at addressing reports of subnational interference involving overregulation of the sector and multiple taxes imposed by state governments, among other issues.

“This issue came up at the chief executives roundtable on Tuesday. We have been engaging the sub-national authorities, which are not necessarily states alone but local governments as well.

“Some local governments also claim ownership of the land and then get into dispute with operators, so I have been engaging with these governments,” he explained.

He said that, in addition to the move, he encouraged state governments to apply for mining licenses to give them a sense of belonging and participation.

According to the minister, findings reveal that sub-nationals have grievances about possessing mineral resources in their areas but they do not have access to them.

He said that the move was easing tensions in states, with infractions by mining companies being reported to the ministry for appropriate action.

The minister urged mining stakeholders to think outside the box and introduce innovations and initiatives to address their challenges, stating that concerted efforts were required to develop the sector.

Alake further said that during engagements with chief executive officers of mining companies, a suggestion was made for the government to establish a solid minerals bank.

“I told them why don`t you think outside the box, why don`t you bend a little bit from a conventional perspective, and why can`t the operators come together and establish their own bank that will service themselves?

“If you wait for government to establish the bank, automatically government will control it, and it will now be subject to political influence, and the structure may not endure beyond the government that established it,“ he said.

He expressed confidence that Mining Week stimulated intellectual engagements, the exchange of ideas, and provided a platform to explore opportunities aimed at developing the sector.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the theme for the mining week is ‘From the Inside Out: Building the Mining Sector to be the Cornerstone of the Economy.’ (NAN)(www.nannews.ng)

Edited by Peter Amine

Mining: Nigeria must move beyond extraction to unlock potential —Alake

326 total views today

By Martha Agas

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dr Dele Alake, has said that Nigeria must move beyond extraction in mining to reap the gains of the sector.

Alake stated this at a press conference to kick-start activities of the ninth edition of the Annual Nigeria Mining Week on Tuesday in Abuja.

He said that even though Nigeria was blessed with 44 minerals and possesses the critical minerals needed for energy transition, it must move beyond extraction to yield its full potential.

“We are focused on establishing systems and structures that allow Nigerians to benefit directly from our resources.

“Through local value addition, processing and beneficiation, our aim is to transform Nigeria’s wealth into industrial and economic power, generating jobs and supporting local businesses in ways that ripple through our economy.

“Lithium processing plants have been inaugurated in Nasarawa State, and plans are under way to unveil more processing plants on the outskirts of the Federal Capital Territory.

“Value addition is gaining traction and momentum because of the determination of the government to reposition the solid minerals sector to contribute significantly to the Gross Domestic Product,” he added.

He said that President Bola Tinubu’s administration was determined to implement its value addition policy by ensuring that mineral resources do not leave the shores of the country in their raw form.

According to him, the government is positioning Nigeria as a formidable player in the global mineral value chain, driven by a commitment to retain the wealth generated within the communities.

He added that the administration was also prioritising security of mineral resources through addressing illegal mining using both persuasive and coercive measures.

Alake stated that the mining week provides a unique opportunity to bring together investors, experts and government leaders from around the world to foster partnerships.

The minister explained that the move was aimed at driving innovation, financing and policy evolution, adding that the event was aimed at addressing both current challenges and future opportunities in Nigeria’s mining sector.

He said the event, with the theme “From the Inside Out: Building the Mining Sector to be the Cornerstone of the Economy”, was a demonstration of collective commitment by stakeholders to create an improved mining industry.

He said the vision was an industry that underpins national prosperity, supports sustainable growth and drives industrialisation.

The President of the Miners Association of Nigeria (MAN), Mr Dele Ayanleke, described the mining week as a platform for the assessment of industry progress, setting future agenda and showcasing emerging technologies and methodologies.

Ayanleke, who was represented by the National Financial Secretary, Tope Adebanjo, thanked their partners, Pricewaterhouse Coppers (PwC) Nigeria and the Vuka, for their continuous support toward the development of the mining sector.

Speaking, Partner and Forensics Leader at PwC, Habeeb Jaiyeola, said that the mining week was designed to showcase the achievements of the mining sector to the international community and local mining investors.

Jaiyeola said that critical topics would be discussed to strengthen Nigeria’s ability to compete favourably in the global mining sector, especially with the paradigm shift to cleaner energy sources.

The News Agency of Nigeria(NAN), reports that the week is being organised by MAN and is hosted by the Ministry of Solid Minerals Development.(NAN)(www.nannews.ng)

Edited by Peter Amine

X
Welcome to NAN
Need help? Choose an option below and let me be your assistant.
Email SubscriptionSite SearchSend Us Email