News Agency of Nigeria
FRSC reassures NANS of commitment to safety of students

FRSC reassures NANS of commitment to safety of students

By Ibironke Ariyo

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has reiterated its commitment to the safety and wellbeing of Nigerian students and all road users.

The FRSC gave the assurance following a strategic meeting with the leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS).

This is contained in a statement by the Corps Public Education Officer (CPEO), Mr Olusegun Ogungbemide, made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday in Abuja.

The Ogungbemide said that the meeting was convened at the instance of the Corps Marshal, Malam Shehu Mohammed.

He said this was in response to recent concerns raised by NANS over the incessant crashes involving articulated vehicles, which had unfortunately claimed lives of one or two students in Edo.

According to him, the corps marshal expressed heartfelt condolences to the families of the deceased students, describing every life lost on Nigerian roads as “a wound to the conscience of the nation”.

The FRSC boss assured the students body that their voices have not only been heard, but were already shaping deliberate actions to end the menace of reckless driving by truck operators.

“Our students are the future of this country. Losing them to avoidable crashes is not just painful, it is highly unacceptable.

“This meeting is not about shifting blames, but about finding lasting solutions together. FRSC is prepared to work hand in hand with NANS to ensure that no family has to mourn a child because of a preventable crash,” he said.

Mohammed used the opportunity of the meeting to outline ongoing and intensified measures being deployed by the FRSC to address the menace of truck crashes across the country.

He listed this to include partnership with major fleet operators like the Dangote and BUA Groups.

He revealed that the FRSC had so far trained and certified thousands of heavy duty truck drivers across Ibese, Obajana, and other depots.

He said that more training were ongoing in Okpella and Gboko, with focus on defensive driving, fatigue management, and adherence to traffic regulations.

He added that recently, more than 2,700 trucks were subjected to rigorous checks in line with FRSC’s annual fleet operators’ certification to ensure that only roadworthy vehicles were on Nigerian highways.

”The corps is strengthening its patrol and surveillance systems with technology that tracks driver’s behaviour, while pushing for speed limiting devices and improved safety standards for heavy duty vehicles.

“Beyond enforcement, FRSC is engaging critical stakeholders, students, transport unions, fleet owners, and community leaders.

‘This is through town hall meetings across all formations to collectively drive behavioural change and instill safety consciousness on Nigerian roads.

“This engagement with NANS is not a one-off meeting but the beginning of a sustained partnership with Nigerian students,” the corps marshal said.

The FRSC boss assured the public that the corps would continue to prioritise safety through empathy, enforcement, and education.

He appealed to students and the general public to remain calm, assuring that decisive steps were being taken to end the needless tragedies on Nigerian roads.

He emphasised that no protest was more powerful than a united commitment to save lives, adding that the corps was ready to raise the bar of safety on Nigerian roads.

In his remarks, Lucky Omonefe, the immediate Past National President and serving Ex-Officio 1 of the association, said the corps invitation had demonstrated sincerity and respect for the Nigerian student community.

He noted that dialogue and not confrontation remained the strongest path to progress.

”We came with anger, but we are leaving with hope. What we have seen today is a leadership that listens. Dialogue is the tool we must all embrace to change drivers’ behaviours, stop recklessness, and reduce carnage on our roads,” he said.(NAN)

Edited by Yinusa Ishola/Deborah Coker

Wike meets area council chairmen, NUT, NANs over teachers’ strike 

Wike meets area council chairmen, NUT, NANs over teachers’ strike 

By Philip Yatai

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Nyesom Wike, will meet with chairmen of FCT area councils, leadership of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) and National Association of Nigeria Students (NANs) on Thursday.

The meeting, according to a statement by NANs in Abuja on Wednesday, is to finalise modalities for the reopening of all public primary schools in the FCT.

The statement was signed by NANs National President, Olushola Oladoja and the association’s National Public Relations Officer, Adeyemi Ajasa.

The association explained that it had earlier resolved to stage a mass protest Wednesday morning at the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) Secretariat.

It added that its leadership was invited to a high-level engagement at the Department of State Services (DSS) Headquarters, where the issues at hand were thoroughly discussed in the interest of national security and students’ welfare.

It said that the first meeting at the DSS paved the way for a second strategic meeting with the Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on FCT, Muktar Betara.

NANs said that the engagement revealed the root causes of the ongoing industrial action by the NUT and the efforts made thus far by the Wike-led FCTA.

It added that a third meeting was held with Wike on Tuesday, where the minister explained the issues at hand.

“That the FCT remains the only unit of the federation operating full local government autonomy, hence all salary payments, including that of primary school teachers, are the sole responsibility of the area councils.

“The FCT Administration is not directly responsible for the backlog of teachers’ salaries and therefore should not be held solely accountable for the inadequacies of the area councils.

“In a show of responsibility and commitment to resolving the crisis, Wike intervened by proposing a bailout—with FCTA offering to pay 60 per cent of the outstanding arrears while the area councils cover the remaining 40 per cent.

“When it became clear that this arrangement was not yielding desired results, the FCT minister withheld the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of the area councils for the months of May and June, with a plan to utilize these funds to make up the 40 per cent requested of area council to clear the outstanding arrears owed to teachers.

“That based on this intervention, it was expected that the two-month arrears withheld be ready before the end of the week,” it said.

The association said that based on the productive engagements and emerging progress, it hereby suspends the planned protest while keeping close tabs on the implementation of all resolutions reached.

“We reaffirm our commitment to defending the rights of Nigerian students and ensuring that no child is denied access to education due to governmental lapses,” he said. (NAN)

Edited by Sadiya Hamza

X
Welcome to NAN
Need help? Choose an option below and let me be your assistant.
Email SubscriptionSite SearchSend Us Email