News Agency of Nigeria
SIP: 22,124 vulnerable persons benefited from 2024 till date – Ondo Govt.

SIP: 22,124 vulnerable persons benefited from 2024 till date – Ondo Govt.

130 total views today

By Segun Giwa

Mr Felix Alonge, Senior Special Assistant (SSA), Social Investment Programme to Ondo State Governor, says 22,124 vulnerable persons benefited from the Federal Government’s Social Investment Programmes (SIP) from 2024 till date in the state.

Alonge stated this on Wednesday in Akure during a stakeholders engagement meeting organised by the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Reduction with National Social Investment Programme Agency.

Also involved in the programme was the National Cash Transfer Office, all in collaboration with Ondo State Cash Transfer Unit.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that stakeholders were drawn from ministries, agencies, development partners, civil society and traditional institutions.

The SSA said 8434 people benefitted in 2021, while the programme had embraced digital approach of payment as against raw cash disbursement.

Alonge said the Federal and State Governments desired to positively impact lives of the vulnerable citizens with various intervention programmes, which had evolved under President Bola Tinubu.

“It is against this backdrop that Ondo State cash transfer unit, under the National Social Safety-nets project, has brought together critical stakeholders and opinion moulders from relevant stakeholders, ” he said.

Earlier, the Permanent Secretary, Public and Intergovernmental Relations, Mrs Yemi Pirisola, said the Household Prosperity and Empowerment (HOPE) programme had supported about 15 million vulnerable households across the country.

Pirisola urged stakeholders to support government initiatives to protect those who were at risk, majorly; widows, chronically ill, unemployed, poor and vulnerable.

The State Programme Manager, Ondo State Cash Transfer Unit, Mr Opeyemi Adeloye, said the various government intervention programmes were to save lives, protect the poor and vulnerable people, and sustain business growth.

Also, the Chairman of Akure South Local Government, Gbenga Fasua, said so many vulnerable lives had been saved with the various SIP of the Federal and State governments.

The Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget, Mr Laolu Akindolire, appreciated the Federal Government for its support under the Renewed Hope Agenda of the president.

Akindolire charged the beneficiaries to make judicious use of the support.(NAN)

Edited by Ayodeji Alabi

Food security: Ondo govt. sets up Sunshine Agricultural company

Food security: Ondo govt. sets up Sunshine Agricultural company

124 total views today

By Segun Giwa

Mr Wemimo Akinsola, Senior Special Assistant to Ondo Governor on Agriculture and Agribusiness, has disclosed plans to establish an agricultural company for food security and job creation in the state.

Akinsola, who made the remark in an interview with newsmen in Akure on Wednesday, said the government’s plan was to save the state from hunger.

He said that it was high time the state stopped being primary producers of goods, but now, it would venture into production of the farm produce to generate employment for the citizens.

The SSA, who praised the governor for his moves for food sufficiency, said food security was a paramount in the state economy and the people’s wellbeing.

He said that for the state to flourish more, food processing in Agric business was where the profit lied and the government was sensitising the people to start processing their products.

“We need to follow up on food production and make sure that our people can actually benefit. It is from production that you make employment.

“So we are proposing to have a Sunshine agro-company; the company will be run by people that have notable companies and good investors here; they will build the infrastructure here.

”For us to be able to invest into agriculture, we need to build a proper infrastructure for agriculture; we are looking at the tractor zones in the three central districts,’’ he said.

Akinsola said that the project execution would be private and government partnership, adding that once the planned project is achieved, ‘’we can have food security.’’

He said that once the company kicked off, the state would not export its farm produce to other states but worked with the farmers for processing and make market available for them.

According to him, we can produce and process what we need in the state; we are building the infrastructure and we are building the processing of our primary production.

Akinsola said that forests in the state were safe as the military has been deployed to ensure that farmers were safe and also to encourage more youths to go into farming.

“Security personnel are in our forests right now, securing the place for us to be able to take the land back from encroachers.

“So we’re getting investors who have the capacity to move in there and start to clear large areas of land; that will enable other farmers to move in and do work.

“We are improving our electricity; since the governor came, electricity has been working in the southern senatorial district; we are bringing a project to the south and it’s employing 6,000 to 7,000 people.

Akinsola, however, said that off-takers were available for ethanol and they would use about 12,000 hectares of land in the south as they were the major players and would also employ a lot of people. (NAN)

Edited by Jane-Frances Oraka

Mpox: 12 cases discovered in Ondo as vaccination commences

Mpox: 12 cases discovered in Ondo as vaccination commences

257 total views today

Mpox

By Alaba Olusola Oke

No fewer than 12 cases of Mpox have been discovered by the Ondo State Primary Healthcare Development Agency (OSPHDA) in eight Local Government Areas of the state.

The Director of Disease Control of OSPHDA, Dr Victor Adefesoye, disclosed this on Monday in Akure at the stakeholders’ meeting on mpox vaccination.

Adefesoye explained that the disease, which was formerly known to be transmitted by monkeys, had been discovered to be transmitted by various animals.

He described the disease as contagious, hence, the need to contain its spread through vaccination in the state.

According to him, the vaccination is safe and will commence on Aug. 11, end on Aug. 21, and will be given to targeted set of people who are above 18 years old and above.

“The essence of this meeting is to help us to inform people in your communities, religious groups, and organisations to take this vaccine.

“The disease is with us in Ondo State, particularly in these local government areas: Akoko South-West, Akoko North-West, Akoko North-East, Owo, Akure South, Akure North, Ondo East and Odigbo.

“This vaccination process is different from previous vaccinations because we know the targeted people and we have contacted them.

“They already have the disease and we will also vaccinate their close relatives, contacts and health workers that have handled them.

“We anticipate that though we have contacted them, some may still feel reluctant to take it. We encourage you as stakeholders to encourage them and be vaccinated,” he said.

The director added that the targeted people would be given two doses of injectable vaccine at different intervals.

He, therefore, enjoined the  people of the state to imbibe the culture of personal and environmental sanitation for a good and healthy society.

Also, the state Immunisation Officer, Mrs Florence Fadiji, said that the disease could be transmitted through contact with infected animals, infected persons and infected things.

Fadiji added that the disease’s symptoms include: body sores, rashes, fever, headache and body weakness.

She stated that the vaccination might have little or no reaction, saying that the vaccination’s reaction could not be compared to burden and effect of the disease.

Similarly, the Permanent Secretary of OSPHDA, Dr Francis Akanbiemu, said that the stakeholders were voices of the people of the state, hence, the need to convince the targeted people to take the vaccine.

Akanbiemu said the vaccination should not be taken lightly but be appreciated by all and sundry for the betterment of the state. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

Edited by Ayodeji Alabi

FRSC Corps Marshal visits Aiyedatiwa, solicits support

FRSC Corps Marshal visits Aiyedatiwa, solicits support

744 total views today

By Ibironke Ariyo

The Corps Marshal, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Malam Shehu Mohammed, has solicited the support of the Ondo State Government in achieving its mandate.

Mohammed said this when he led a team of FRSC officials on a courtesy visit to Gov. Lucky Aiyedatiwa of Ondo on Monday in Akure.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the visit was in continuation of the on-going end of year traffic monitoring across strategic corridors by the Corps.

The FRSC Corps Marshal said that road safety was a shared responsibility that required the collaboration of all stakeholders, adding that the FRSC was in the state to execute two missions.

“The first is to felicitate with the governor and the people of Ondo State on the successful gubernatorial election.

“The second, being to embark on the Ember Months campaign aimed at reducing road traffic crashes during the festive period,” he said.

Mohammed said that Ondo was critical to the end of the year special operations due to the number of corridors in the State.

The Corps Marshal revealed that the Corps was committed to ensuring that crashes were reduced in line with United Nations Decade of Action on Road Safety and Injury Prevention.

He emphasised the need for the State Government to expedite action towards establishing Ondo State Road Safety Advisory Council.

This, he said, would complement the efforts of National Road Safety Advisory Council led by Vice President Kashim Shettima.

“We want to appreciate you because my sector Commander has informed me that he has been receiving support from you,” he said.

In his response, Aiyedatiwa said that the Corps Marshal’s visit would boost security of lives and properties in the state.

Aiyedatiwa, who was represented by his Deputy, Dr Olayide Adelami, thanked the Corps Marshal for the Operation Zero Tolerance and the traffic monitoring of federal highways.

He said that the state would collaborate with the FRSC to address the challenges of road safety in the state and pledged the state’s readiness to always support the Corps in its mandate.(NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz

Buhari welcomes APC’s victory in Ondo

Buhari welcomes APC’s victory in Ondo

928 total views today

By Mufutau Ojo

Former President Muhammadu Buhari has commended the success of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Saturday governorship election in Ondo State which returned Gov. Lucky Aiyeditawa.

In his reaction to the outcome of the election, the former president said the voters had spoken lucidly and loudly about the confidence they have in the party and the governor.

Buhari said in a statement by his spokesperson, Garba Shehu, on Sunday that the voters had expressed their wish through the ballot box, adding that this should be respected by other stakeholders.

The former president said the election’s outcome had shown that democracy remained strong and could not be easily overturned in a country as large and diverse as Nigeria.

He, however, challenged the governor-elect to put in place policies that engender economic growth, tame high unemployment and inflation while pursuing welfare programmes to make life better for the people.

Buhari also commended the Independent National Electoral Commission and law enforcement agencies for their efforts in reducing observed shortcomings in previous elections.

He wished Aiyeditawa and his team a successful tenure in office. (NAN)

Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz

Promises, expectations as Ondo elects new governor

Promises, expectations as Ondo elects new governor

965 total views today

A News Analysis by Emmanuel Oloniruha, News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)

As Ondo State prepares for the governorship election on Saturday, November 16, the atmosphere is charged with both anticipation and concern.

With 18 political parties competing for the coveted position, the stakes are high, and expectations from citizens, political parties, and the electoral body are palpable.

There are 2,053,061 registered voters in Ondo, but only 1,757,205 (85.6 per cent) who have collected their Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) will be eligible to participate.

The election will take place across 3,933 polling units in the state’s 18 local government areas.

According to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), 111 domestic and international organisations will deploy 3,554 observers to monitor the election.

Additionally, over 100 media organisations, deploying about 700 personnel, including 129 female journalists, will cover the election, marking the largest media presence for any off-cycle governorship election in Nigeria.

As Ondo voters eagerly prepare to cast their ballots, democracy advocates hope that the election will set a new precedent for future Nigerian elections, one rooted in integrity and respect for democratic principles.

Key players such as INEC, security agencies, and political parties have expressed their readiness and commitment to ensuring a successful and credible election.

To enhance transparency, INEC has announced the deployment of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) for voter verification and real-time result uploads to the INEC Result Viewing (IReV) portal.

Mrs Oluwatoyin Babalola, INEC’s Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) for Ondo, stated that “a total of 4,002 BVAS devices will be used for the election, with 812 devices held in reserve.

“These devices are fully charged, configured, and ready for deployment, and all non-sensitive materials have been sorted and dispatched for distribution to polling units.

Babalola further revealed that “the Registration Area Centers (RACs) are prepared to accommodate INEC’s ad-hoc staff, with provisions made for their comfort during pre-election preparations”.

Training has been completed for Supervisory Presiding Officers (SPOs), Presiding Officers (POs), and Assistant Presiding Officers (APOs).

In addition, several meetings have been held with transport unions to ensure the smooth movement of personnel and election materials.

INEC Chairman Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, speaking at a stakeholders meeting on November 7 in Akure, reaffirmed the commission’s commitment to conducting a credible and transparent election.

Yakubu noted that “a successful mock accreditation had been carried out across 12 polling units in six LGAs, demonstrating the system’s reliability”.

He also emphasised that accreditation tags with QR codes would be provided to all accredited journalists, observer groups, and party agents to ensure only authorised representatives are allowed at polling units and collation centres.

Yakubu assured stakeholders that logistics and result management would see significant improvement, particularly with the deployment of election materials and personnel.

“Voters in Ondo should expect a marked improvement in election-day logistics,” he said.

Regarding security, over 36,000 police officers, along with personnel from other security agencies, will be deployed across the state on election day, totaling approximately 43,157 officers.

The National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, at a recent election security meeting stated that the government is committed to ensuring peaceful elections.

He also warned that “any attempt to disrupt the election would be met with the full force of the law”.

The Inspector General of Police (IGP), Kayode Egbetokun, also reaffirmed the neutrality and professionalism of security agencies.

“Security will be watertight around polling stations and public areas,” he said, urging all stakeholders to avoid violence and refrain from using thugs.

Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar (rtd), Chairman of the National Peace Accord Committee, appealed to all political stakeholders to refrain from violent acts and to accept the election results if deemed free, fair, and credible.

He also urged party leaders and candidates to accept the outcome of the elections, provided it is deemed free, fair, and credible, and to seek legitimate, peaceful means to address any concerns that may arise afterward.

“While I commend INEC for the work done so far, I call on them to continue living up to their responsibilities by ensuring that eligible voters exercise their franchise peacefully and that the remaining electoral processes remain credible, free, and fair,” he said.

Abubakar also urged the police to remain vigilant in preventing any threats of violence and maintaining peace in the state.

He advised voters to turn out in large numbers to vote for their preferred candidates and to refrain from selling their votes, saying that political actors must put an end to the practice of vote trading.

“As citizens, you must also respect that only INEC has the constitutional authority to announce the results,” Abubakar said.

Similarly, the Inter-Party Advisory Council (IPAC) warned against vote-buying and urged political parties and candidates to prioritise the interests of Ondo citizens.

IPAC Chairman Yusuf Dantalle emphasised that “leadership should be selfless service to the people, and if that is the case, no responsible leader will want to force himself or herself on the people”.

The Centre for Democracy and Development’s briefing paper, ‘A Tale of Two Deputies – Reviewing the Political Terrain of the 2024 Ondo Governorship Election’, reveals key factors that could influence the election.

They include; the candidates, evaluations of the incumbent governments, party structures, voter apathy, insecurity, and information disorder.

The report notes that while many of these factors are common in recent Nigerian elections, they take on a new significance in this context, potentially swaying the outcome.

It emphasises that the election’s credibility depends on the capacity of the election management body to ensure a free and fair process.

The report says to maintain legitimacy, concerns about the election must be addressed by the authorities, ensuring the next administration starts with the trust needed to fulfill its mandate.

All in all, many believe that by fostering mutual respect among political actors and encouraging active civic participation, Ondo state has the opportunity to set the stage for a more robust democratic process in Nigeria. (NAN)

**If used please credit the writer and News Agency of Nigeria.

X
Welcome to NAN
Need help? Choose an option below and let me be your assistant.
Email SubscriptionSite SearchSend Us Email