News Agency of Nigeria
Ground rent: Wike requests list of defaulters for immediate sanctions

Ground rent: Wike requests list of defaulters for immediate sanctions

By Philip Yatai

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Nyesom Wike, on Friday, demanded the list of ground rent defaulters across the territory for immediate implementation of necessary sanctions.

Wike gave the directive in Abuja while inaugurating two committees to address land issues at River Park Estate and abuse of land use act in the FCT.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the FCT Administration had on June 2, published a demand notice for the payment of ground rent due to the FCT Administration from 2014 to 2024.

The FCT Administration gave the defaulters two weeks to comply.

Wike noted that the two weeks had long elapsed into months, adding that it was time for enforcement of necessary sanctions.

“We have allowed so much time. Initially we gave two weeks; it has passed one month, two months, three months.

“You know how Nigerians are, if you don’t take steps nothing will happen.

“So, all those owing, from the ones we have published up to 2025, you have to provide the list so that we commence immediate implementation.

“This will enable us to receive the needed funds that will aid us in the development of infrastructure in the FCT,” he said.

The minister said that the FCT 2025 budget had been passed and assented to, by President Bola Tinubu.

He, however, pointed out that without funds, there was no way the administration would undertake projects that would have a positive impact on the lives of FCT residents.

“So, please, Directors of Land, Abuja Geographic Information System, Development Control, Urban and Regional Planning, you need to work tirelessly to make sure that this is achieved,” the minister said. (NAN)

Edited by Yakubu Uba

Health insurance: FCTA to sanction erring HMOs 

Health insurance: FCTA to sanction erring HMOs 

 

By Philip Yatai

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) says it will sanction any Health Maintenance Organisations under the FCT Health Insurance Scheme (FHIS), who failed to remit payments to healthcare providers promptly.

Mr Lere Olayinka, Senior Special Assistant to the FCT Minister on Public Communications and Social Media gave the warning in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday.

Olayinka explained that the FHIS was a social health
Insurance programme, offering financial protection through access to quality, affordable and equitable healthcare services by all FCT residents.

He added that staff of the FCTA and Area Councils, including vulnerable persons and pregnant women were being enrolled for free, while other members of the public could enroll upon payment of N22,500 as premium per annum.

He added that about N4 billion, outstanding payments for capitation and fee for service from 2022 to 2024 was approved by the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike and paid between 2024 and 2025.

This, according to him, is to improve the quality of healthcare services provided to the FHIS enrollees.

He said that one of the benefit packages of the FHIS was the Basic Minimum Package of Health Care services (BMPHS), ranging from promotive, preventive, curative and some rehabilitative care services.

Other services, he said, included  primary preventive care, screening, primary emergency services, and secondary level care such as dental, mental, eye, ear, nose and throat care, physiotherapy, surgeries, laboratory investigations, and radiological investigations such as ultrasound scan, and x-rays.

The spokesman, however, said that complaints have been received from some healthcare providers concerning non-remittance of their payments by some of the HMOs.

According to him, the HMOs blamed the non-payment on nonavailability of bank details of the affected hospitals.

“This excuse is not acceptable to the FCT Administration government.”

He said that henceforth, compliance of the HMOs to the prompt remittance of payments to healthcare providers and the commitment of the healthcare providers to the FHIS enrollees would be closely monitored.

He stressed that all defaulters
would be sanctioned accordingly.

On implementation of the FHIS in the last one year, Olayinka said that outstanding payment for capitations and fee for service from 2022 to the end of 2024 had been paid.

He identified other successes as improved timeliness in the payment of capitation to HMOs, upward review of capitation to healthcare providers, free enrolment of vulnerable persons, especially pregnant women, children under-five years and indigent residents.

“Others include accreditation visits to 100 Primary Health Care (PHC) facilities to expand the number of PHC providing FHIS services and in the long run, improve access to healthcare services in communities.

“Also, all pregnant women who enrolled through the Basic Health Care Provision Fund (BHCPF) PHCs across the six area councils in the FCT will continue to enjoy free health education, medical consultation and treatment.

“Other services include routine antenatal drugs, laboratory investigations and delivery.

“Referral for secondary care, including caesarean section, blood transfusion and treatment of other obstetric complications such as eclampsia in all the 14 General Hospitals in the FCT is also provided at no cost to the patient through the BHCPF,” he said. (NAN)

Edited by Abiemwense Moru

X
Welcome to NAN
Need help? Choose an option below and let me be your assistant.
Email SubscriptionSite SearchSend Us Email