Niger boat mishap claims 30

Spread the love
By Obinna Unaeze
The Niger Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) on Monday said the death toll from Sunday’s boat mishap in Mokwa Local Government Area had risen from 24 to 30.
The Acting Director-General of the agency, Alhaji Garba Salihu stated this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Minna.
He said the agency had so far rescued 30 persons in Gbajibo area where the incident occurred.
“Yesterday, we have recovered 24 corpses, but that same day it later increased to 26 dead bodies.
“Today, we recovered four more corpses, making 30 in all,” Salihu said.
He said the deceased comprises 27 females and three male children.
Salihu dispelled the rumour making the rounds that 100 passengers boarded the ill-fated boat.
“For now, nobody knows the number of passengers on that boat. Many people entered the boat, so knowing the actual number of passengers on board will be difficult,” he said.
The NSEMA boss said the agency had stopped searching for the victims of the boat mishap, pending when the need arose.
NAN also reports that the victims hailed from Gbajibo, Ekwa and Yankyade communities who were on their way to their farms at the other side of river Niger (old Gbajibo) when the incident occurred. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)
Edited by Nabilu Balarabe/Bashir Rabe Mani

Leave a Comment

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
error: Content is protected !!
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x