Elite sports to continue in England in spite of national lockdown
Elite Sports to continue in England in spite of Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s announcement of new national COVID-19 lockdown on Monday.Continue Reading
Elite Sports will be allowed to continue in England in spite of Prime Minister Boris Johnson announcing a new national COVID-19 lockdown on Monday.
The new lockdown was due to surging infections in the country caused by a more contagious variant of the novel coronavirus.
The United Kingdom has had more than 2.65 million confirmed COVID-19 cases and recorded over 75,000 deaths.
A record 58,784 new cases of the coronavirus were reported on Monday.
England have followed neighbours Scotland in implementing a stringent lockdown with stay-at-home instructions but allowing professional sports to continue.
Outdoor sports venues including outdoor gyms, tennis courts and golf courses will close and outside team sports will not be permitted but elite sports, including Premier League football, will continue.
In football, the League Cup semi-finals are set to be played on Tuesday and Wednesday, followed by FA Cup third round action which begins on Friday.
The Premier League also has a fixture crunch to contend with after four matches were postponed due to COVID-19 outbreaks at Newcastle United, Manchester City and Fulham.
The outbreaks at Newcastle United and Manchester City led to the clubs closing their training centre for a deep clean before the players could return.
The Premier League recorded a season-high 18 positive cases in a week last month and a total of 131 individuals in the English top flight have tested positive in 17 rounds of testing.
The situation is worse in the lower tiers of the football pyramid.
English Football League (EFL) clubs’ players and staff are not tested as regularly and a number of outbreaks led to more than 50 matches being called off this season.
Premiership rugby is also set to continue in spite of a number of games being called off due to outbreaks.
However, unlike the Premier League, cancelled Premiership rugby matches will not be replayed, with four points allocated to the team who were able to play the game and two points to the other club. (Reuters/NAN)
Elite Sports to continue in England in spite of Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s announcement of new national COVID-19 lockdown on Monday.Continue Reading
Enugu State Ministry of Education directs all schools in the state to resume on Jan. 18, 2021, Commissioner for Education, Prof. Uchenna Eze, says.Continue Reading
An Ekiti born geo-scientist, Ayo Omotoso, distributes tractor, motorcycles, refrigerators, clothes, food and other items worth millions of naira to youths and women in Ado-Ekiti.Continue Reading
Australian Open organisers have been forced to tear up a quarantine accommodation plan for international players a month before the Grand Slam. The development followed a threat of legal action from apartment owners at a luxury hotel in Melbourne. Tennis Australia and government authorities had arranged for players to serveContinue Reading
Gov. Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa has banned all social gatherings in the state until further notice, toContinue Reading
Kwara Government says it has recorded 44 more COVID-19 cases, while 101 patients, who tested negative twice have been discharged.Continue Reading
Faustin-Archange Touadera, outgoing president of the Central African Republic (CAR), has won the absolute majority in the first round of the presidential election, according to provisional results announced on Monday. The National Elections Authority (ANE), the electoral body of the CAR, which announced the results, said Touadera garnered 346,687 votes,Continue Reading
Libyan navy said on Monday that it rescued 82 illegal immigrants off the coast of Khoms city, some 120 km east of the capital Tripoli.Continue Reading
Nigeria on Monday recorded 1,204 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, taking the total number of infections to 91,351.Continue Reading
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) asks members in court against leadership of party in Anambra to withdraw all litigations ahead of November governorship poll in the state.Continue Reading
Privacy Policy Designed using Magazine News Byte. Powered by WordPress.